Thread: Can I use Ubuntu tools to clone an external drive that contains MACOS (High Sierra)?

Beans

Can I use Ubuntu tools to clone an external drive that contains MACOS (High Sierra)?

(moderators - if this posting is not in the correct section or is otherwise not usable, please assist/advise)

I wish to clone (onto a larger device) the startup drive removed from a MAC OS system (High Sierra) which contains Apple's HFS+ filesystems.

I tried dd to duplicate the drive's contents onto another one, then gparted to relocate the third (small, "recovery") partition to the end of the larger drive, however, gparted does not appear to have HFS+ filesystem support (needed to expand the second/root filesystem to take up the available space between end of the existing root/main filesystem and start of the newly relocated third/recovery filesystem).

Can this task be done with command-line (or GUI) tools available in the Ubuntu/Linux environment?

I do not wish to use a commercial product for this (one-time) task.

Thank you, and happy to provide any needed clarifying information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can I use Ubuntu tools to clone an external drive that contains MACOS (High Sierr

dd, ddrescue, cat, cp and 50 others can all clone a disk. After that, it is up to you to deal with the foreign file system and whatever partitioning is needed due to that foreign file system.

With many Unix file systems, we cannot just move a partition and add other partitions and expect it to work. This is a MacOS question, not Ubuntu. At a minimum, it belongs in the MacOS sub-forum here, but really needs to be asked on a Mac-specific forum, I'd bet.

BTW, any MacOS in the last 20 yrs would have the same capabilities to clone the disk (they have root/sudo and cp, right?), since it is based on Unix.

Beans

Re: Can I use Ubuntu tools to clone an external drive that contains MACOS (High Sierr

Thank you TheFu for the reply. I had tried on the official apple community but that yielded only a commercial product. I'll look for the macos sub-forum on ubuntu forums (overlooked when I made this post) and see if there's any similar discussion there.

Beans
    Hidden!

clonezilla supports HFS+ along with many other file systems and i believe is available from the Ubuntu repros ..

https://clonezilla.org
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Apple users sub-forum.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.