Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with Ubuntu GRUB killed by Windows on dual boot (I hate Windows 🤬)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Please help with Ubuntu GRUB killed by Windows on dual boot (I hate Windows 🤬)

I have followed your lengthy AI sesson and you are being drawn into the spider's web. I do note that there is reference to LVM and encryption which is beyond my ken.
    But ask your friendly ChatGPT session. And clarify what PC you are using.

[PROMPT]It has been suggested by another party that I should try installing rEFInd as a measure to restore boot order and later update Grub. I have been advised to set UEFI instead of Legacy in Bios and select rEFInd in boot order. Do you concur?
    Last edited by dragonfly41; 1 Week Ago at 01:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Please help with Ubuntu GRUB killed by Windows on dual boot (I hate Windows 🤬)

Meanwhile chatting with ChatGPT I found that:

1. Windows is instelled in UEFI mode
    2. Ubuntu is installed in Legacy mode + LUKS encryption
    3. I do not have Secure Boot option in Windows OS Configuration in BIOS

I tried to install refind from LiveCD with no luck. I have Legacy+UEFI mode in BIOS enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, finally some good news here. Actually I somehow installet Refind and it did not load (and alos Windows did not load) because yesterday at some point in my "repair" proccess I changed order in my BBS..something menu at the bottom of Boot menu. Now I changed it to Windows and I am in Refind menu.

Now I have these options:
    1. Windows (loads fine)
    2. Boot EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi from EFI system partition (loads grub> prompt)
    3. Boot Fallback boot loader from EFI system partition
    4. Boot EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi from EFI system partition (loads grub> prompt) - second one
    5. Boot Fallback boot loader from EFI system partition - second one

At the bottom I have two yellow keys and some other icons.

So Ubuntu still not loading. How do I fix this?

Beans

BTW, I learned decades ago to rather run Windows on a virtual machine such as Virtualbox on Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If Windows now loads fine then I would now (corrected from not) try (in Windows) the 15days trial of EasyUEFI.
    Also try installing rEFInd now in your Ubuntu partition. (I install it in every drive I have - windows and different Ubuntu caddies). Then you will have an rEFInd boot route into Ubuntu. You will need to go into boot order again after this. And ensure that you have UEFI not Legacy chosen in BIOS.

When you get into Ubuntu remember this advice from your ChatGPT session.

sudo apt-get install efibootmgr

You should also be able to run that in LiveUSB to select boot sequence.

Last edited by dragonfly41; 1 Week Ago at 03:36 PM. Reason: corrected typo from "not" to "now" .. big difference

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Windows on virtual machine.
    From post #1
    I really hate Windows! It's only installed on my computer for occasionally playing Civilization, Rust, or DayZ
    Is not access to bare metal required for these? I don't know. Still don't know what PC this is. The clue in profile is Ubuntu 14.04. july 2008.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You ran Boot-Repair report when in BIOS boot mode. You need to run in UEFI boot mode.
    Boot-Mode setting in UEFI/BIOS is default for installed system. You have to choose mode when booting live installer, if live installer has both modes.

Not 100% sure as BIOS report does not show all the UEFI info, but it looks like both are installed in UEFI mode. No old BIOS boot loaders in MBR, both drives have an ESP and both drives are gpt. Windows requires gpt for UEFI boot, Ubuntu does not, but clean install uses gpt.

But both Windows & major grub updates reset UEFI to have that system as first in boot order.
    You can go into UEFI settings (not one time boot menu) and change boot order. Or manually boot from UEFI one time boot menu (same as you use to boot live installer) and choose Ubuntu entry.
    Windows updates reset boot order, but often also turn fast start up back on. That may prevent grub from booting Windows. So then you boot Windows from one time boot menu and turn fast startup off.

Check boot order in UEFI settings and/or boot Ubuntu from UEFI one time boot menu.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Context.
    A reminder of the flak this OP has walked through. Reddit, us and .. ChatGPT.

https://chat.openai.com/share/47ffc0...6-63f6a6eb2876

That is why I keep Danny Kaye's sketch in mind.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; 1 Week Ago at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    BTW, I learned decades ago to rather run Windows on a virtual machine such as Virtualbox on Linux.
    Yeah, this is may be great if you have good PC. Playing games in Virtual Box at least at average PC is not the best experience I think...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12