Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04 using Live "CD"

Beans

Re: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04 using Live "CD"

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    LOL. You do not need our "permission" to do something. You are really free to do as you please. That is on your own.

I care about Users, and that they are well supported. (You appear to care about your Users. Hats off to that.) I just want you to be aware of the risks, especially since there are problems, which currently there are with that process at the moment, more than on previous releases. On previous releases, you could do 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' on the day of release, and there were no problems. That is the why of the hesitation.

I would personally feel terrible if I recommended--> Yes, go ahead with this (this way), and then without warning your upgrade is broken... and it was a known problem. You might agree that, you wouldn't be too happy with the results of that. Then you would lose faith in what we say, and in the quality of the release. I do have a sense of responsibility in what I say, and recommend.
    I'm sorry if I got carried away! But unfortunately that's my experience with asking questions here over the years.
    However, I'm quite experienced in dealing with misc problems and if you had answered "Well, I could tell you to do this (with explanation) - but that could, at this moment in the cycle of the upgrading, render your machine unusable due to this and that" Then I could have decided on my own if it was worth it or not.

I don't know if you remember, but you and me had quite the discussion in two different threads a couple of years ago (when I had SSO problems and had to create a different user) about automating Desktop deployment - My "resolution" in that thread was to go with Debian, but that wasn't acceptable for my company, so we're now installing all our user Ubuntu laptops by hand for now, doing the automation with ansible after install. It's not great, but it works, since we don't deploy that many systems on a daily basis.

My motives was initially quite heavily questioned then as well...

I've tried asking questions in the discourse and been rather rudely dismissed for trying to accomplish something that seemingly hadn't been thought of...

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    EDIT -- Idea... Since you do have a professional and personal investment in how this turns out... I personally invite you to be involved with the testing of the upgrade process when that time comes. They are working on it. You do care about how that turns out for your 72 Users... Watch the "Ubuntu Development Version" Section for that. That might give you a pro-active leg up on your testing.
    I'll have a look at the Dev Section. Thanks for the tip!

Beans
    Hidden!

@jbygden
    i'm not involved with the discussion but its good to see deployment of Ubuntu to work laptops.

i found that 24.04 had issues on my oldish Dell 13" latitude 3380 (i5 7200u .. 16GB ddr4 .. 275GB SSD)
    screen tearing and it looked like under use of the CPU causing everything to just slow down which i believe also impacted the GPU.

i reinstalled 22.04.4 and everything just went back to how it should work. just passing on my personal experience ..
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gezzer2 View Post
    @jbygden
    i'm not involved with the discussion but its good to see deployment of Ubuntu to work laptops.
    You mean you've seen it, or did you misinterpret what I wrote? I haven't seen it yet...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123